Another bread This weekend!  This time it was the poolish baguette.  I decided to try using my sourdough to create the poolish.  I have never done this before and usually use dry yeast for this bread, however, my starter needed to be used and I thought I would give it a try.  I adjusted the moisture of the poolish to accommodate the water content of the 100 g of starter I used.  To determine the moisture level of my starter, I microwaved 10g on high for 5 minutes and then reweighed it.  In hind sight the 100 g was too much, but more on that below.

The poolish (a 100% hydration yeast flour and water mix) was fermented over night.  The next morning, I mixed all the ingredients to form a loose sticky dough.  This dough seemed much wetter than I remembered and was very sticky and hard to work with.  After two folds, the loaves were formed and couched for proofing.
Picture
When they were ready, they were baked at 500 F for 30 minutes.

Picture
Because the dough was so loose, the loaves slumped a bit during the bake.  I think now that the excess starter in the poolish may have caused it to over develop, a condition where enzymes increase in the dough, destroying the gluten  and preventing a tighter structure.  Lesson learned.  I would like to attempt this again with less starter and perhaps a longer kneading time to maximize gluten development.

Picture
I was happy with the crumb and texture, however.  The bread had good taste and was delicious with dinner :-)

 
 
It was a busy weekend.  While the bagels were baked inside, I was able to fire up the wood fired oven again after some down time due to construction.  This called for an old standby for me, Hamelman's Pain au Levain, a sourdough white bread.
Picture
My sourdough mother was boosted in an over night fermentation to create a stiff biga starter (a low hydration dough).  Approximately 8 oz was used for this bread.  The oven was fired and the bread baked at about 500 F.  I also have some baguettes in this picture.

Picture
I was pleased with the results.  I had good oven spring and well developed "ears" on the slashes.  The crumb was open with a soft texture.  It's made a great sandwich bread this week!

 
 
These pages will follow my progress in a baking challenge to bake the breads in Jeffery Hamelman's "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes".  More on the challenge here.